Sunday, October 4, 2009

Brothers & Friends

After Sunday School today, the kids were showing me their papers. There was the standard colorings about the Bible story they read and a couple craft projects they had created. But one paper, one of Cooper's papers, stood out today.
It was this...



It says, 'Gabe. You're a special friend! Love, Cooper.' And on it is a picture of Gabe and Cooper playing catch with the football.

This simple Sunday School artwork may seem just that, simple. But it brought me to tears. Knowing how much Cooper looks up to Gabe, admires his big brother and truly loves him brings my heart joy. Knowing that Cooper could have written anyone's name on that paper, but thinks of his brother as a friend first and foremost brings satisfaction that we've raised them to be friends to one another. And seeing Gabe's face light up when he read his name on that paper was the icing on the cake.

My desire has always been for my children to be friends, the kind of lifelong friends that will always be there for one another. That's what this Sunday School paper means to me. It's a product of a friendship between brothers that will bond them for life, long after their parents are gone. And I pray it's a friendship that will always point them back to Christ, our ultimate friend.

No comments: