Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Day of Second Grade

It's that time of year again. The time of year when kids sport new shoes adorned with dewy grass as they wait for the school bus to arrive...

When boys and girls arm themselves with new backpacks, or in our case, the same backpack Gabe has had for the last four years...




{Click here for the best backpacks ever. Gabe has worn his through two years of preschool, kindergarten and first grade, and it's still like new!}


And it's the time of year when all of those bittersweet feelings overwhelm {sensitive} moms like me. The feelings of excitement for a new year and happiness that my son is so very confident and capable to handle the year ahead of him. And the feelings of sadness, the creeping loss of a son who is another year older, another year wiser, more independent, and less in need of his mom.


But although I battle these bittersweet feelings at the start of every school year, I know that by giving my son over to the Lord, He is in charge. He knows best, He will guide us and take care of us, and give us all the tools we need to handle anything this school year will bring our way. And He has given me a son who is independent and confident, but at the same time a son who gives his mom a hug and reminds me he'll miss me while he's gone....even if it is more to comfort me than it is actually true ;)

I am so thankful for the peace and comfort that only comes from the Lord, and for a son who lets the light of Christ shine through him everyday.





Happy first day of second grade Gabe. May you be blessed, and be a blessing to others this school year.


4 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I absolutely the love shot with the school bus pulling into view! it IS a bittersweet time of year - it's hard to watch them spread their wings ;)

Kim said...

Aww what great photos! Gabe is such a handsome little man and looks so proud to be starting 2nd grade!

Tara Anderson said...

Such great photos! I love the last one with the bus! My oldest two start on Monday, and yes it is bittersweet!

ellieshine said...

This was so sweet = I LOVE the bus shot, and then I read that everyone else does too :) I wasn't copying, honest!! I know exactly what you mean about entrusting them - every time I send one of them off to school I think how much I would love to homeschool - if I felt that was God's calling on our lives. Right now I think my children are called to the mission field of public school. but boy do I miss them!