Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sleeping Beauty

Most moms have memories of holding their sleeping babies in their arms. And I do have those memories with Gabe and Cooper.
But our little Miss Chloe, from day one, would not sleep in anyone's arms.
If she was being held, she was awake, taking everything in.
In her own bed is where she sleeps, and no place else.
That's why capturing these photos last night was so important...




I was sitting on the couch watching TV around 10 p.m. when I heard Chloe crying in her room. Unless she's sick, this really never happens, because Chloe is a very good sleeper and always sleeps through the night. She was not sick, so I'm not sure if she had a bad dream or what, but the instant I picked her up she stopped crying. I took her into the living room and sat with her on the couch where she proceeded to fall back to sleep WHILE I WAS HOLDING HER! And I could not believe it!
At 23 months old, this little girl who as a newborn would never fall asleep while being held, was now sleeping in my arms.
Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but once I got over the shock of it, I just started to cry. She looked so beautiful, so peaceful. I looked at her little rosy cheeks, her long eyelashes, her perfectly shaped lips and I prayed that God would help me remember this moment because I didn't want it to slip away. As I sat there, I thanked God for Chloe and prayed that the years of her childhood would not pass by too fast. I can hardly believe she is soon to be two, and no longer a baby. But it was nice for her to regress a little last night, and to let me hold her as if she was again my little babe.
Sometimes it's the little things, like watching your child asleep in your arms, that fill a mother with such great joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angie, you are killing me! With Kenna's birthday yesterday I have been a bit more sentimental than normal anyways but here I am crying again, this time at your post! I must say there is nothing sweeter than snuggling with a sleeping child. Especially when it's unexpected.

I can't believe how much she looks like a porcelain doll! Her cheeks and lips are so tiny. She is usually so busy I can't get a good look at her. She has such delicate features.