Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gabe the First Grader


{Gabe waiting for the bus to take him to first grade.}

Today we sent Gabe off to school to start first grade. It's so bittersweet. Bitter seeing him grow up so fast, sweet knowing he loves his life.

It seems like just yesterday that he was starting Kindergarten, and yet it was a whole year ago.
How does time fly by so fast? Cliche, I know. But it's so true. My oldest is a first grader!

I fought back the tears as I kissed and hugged my little boy goodbye. No surprise there. Jason waved to Gabe and said, "have a great day," and then knew he needed to comfort me a little. I guess you could say I'm a little sensitive ;)

I am so thankful that Gabe loves school as much as he does, because it would be so much harder to send him off into the world if he didn't want to go. God knew what he was doing when he gave me a social, outgoing child like Gabe.

Now I just pray for my little boy. Pray that he may stand firm in the ways of the Lord. Pray that he may be a light in a dark world. Pray that he may shine the light that is inside him, the love of Christ. Pray that he can choose to make a difference.

I see so much potential in him, and know that he can do all of these things with a little prayer. I know the Lord will use him for great things, as long as we let him.

So I will.

And I will fight that strong urge to just hold on to him tight and not let him grow up on days like today.

Instead, I will pray.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang you Angie!! After reading this Kinz just asked why I am crying and I said because you are growing up and going to K. She just rolls her eyes and says "AGAIN!!"

I just love the way you worded this post. You know I feel exactly the same way. I can't imagine sending my daughter out into this world without knowing Christ. I just Praise the Lord in knowing He loves her more than even I!

But yeah bittersweet is a good word..

Unknown said...

Oh how the tears are running down my face! Bittersweet is such the word. I often feel this way about so many things.

I am sure you will be waiting for the yellow bus to come down your road!

God Bless!

Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh and one more thing... He looks SOOOO tall in these pictures!

Did Jason tell you we saw Cooper at his preschool meeting? Just smiled so I made my whole family smile back to show him the love :)

Unknown said...

Shawna, you are AWESOME! Thanks for making your family smile at Coop. He even told me you all smiled at him :) Awwwww!

And yes, Jason told me he saw you guys and gave Kinz a hard time, telling Mrs. Dwars to watch out for her cause she's Gabe's friend, lol. I bet she's getting excited. If you wanna come over and cry after she leaves for school Friday, feel free. I'll give you moral support, lol.

Oh, and Jason was there alone with Cooper at his conference because I completely forgot about it. We were getting ready to eat supper and the phone rang. It was his teacher wanting to know where we were. oops. So Jason grabbed Cooper and hurried him into the school while I stayed home with the other kiddos. Sad thing is, it's the second appointment I've forgotten about this week! Ahhh!