Sunday, August 24, 2008

Inspired by Pottery Barn

I started painting birdhouse gourds for Jason's mom to sell on the pumpkin farm. Every year I help the family pumpkin farm by painting gourds to sell and painting pumpkins for decorations. The fact that these painting projects have already begun has gotten me thinking...can it be that the summer is almost gone and fall is almost upon us? Is it just me, or did this summer fly by?

Anyway, since I have my paints out, I have decided to finally get around to painting some artwork for Chloe's room. Over the winter I painted two pictures for the boys' room that they had picked out of the Pottery Barn Kids catalog. I LOVE Pottery Barn, but it's usually a little out of my price range, so I look through the catalog and try to recreate the decor for less. Gabe & Cooper wanted "rockstar" themed artwork. Specifically, Gabe wanted a drum set and Cooper wanted a guitar. So thanks to Pottery Barn for the inspiration, I created these paintings:



I paid $30 for the two canvases and used paint I already had to freehand these Pottery Barn re-creations. I got for $30 and some time what I would have gotten for $120 each if I had ordered them through Pottery Barn. So not only did I save money, but painting it myself is more meaningful for the boys too! Can't beat that!
On to Chloe's room...I was flipping through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog and have decided to do one of the following projects:




I'm loving the tree collage utilizing the different size canvas hangings to create one overall picture. But all of them are pretty cute, so I'll have to make up my mind.

So which one do you like the best?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like both of the two on the bottom. They are a little simpler in design and color.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the input "anonymous!" I think I've decided to do the one on the bottom right, the multi-canvas tree. Thanks again for the comment. I'll post photos when I'm done painting!