Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cherish everyday

I've been so very busy. Too busy to blog, hence the absence of posts lately. Much busier than I care to be, but continually hoping things will slow down soon.

Between detassling with the youth group, t-ball games, wrestling camp, photo shoots, planning Gavin's one-year birthday party and our upcoming vacation to Washington D.C., vacation bible school and house renovations, it's been a nut house around here. Couple all of that with the fact that I'm flying solo this week while Jason is gone on the youth's annual mission trip, and it's a bit of an understatement to say that I haven't had time to stop and catch my breath.

Until tonight.

Gabe and Cooper are at Grandma & Grandpa's spending the night, while Chloe and Gavin are sleeping away. And the house is silent. Nothing but me and my thoughts. What a rarity. It's nice, but I find myself restless, longing to sit and relax but feeling guilty that I should be doing something. Do you know the feeling, or is it just me? Like if you stop for a moment, everything will pile up on you and you'll drown in to-do's. I hate that feeling. But I feel like I've forgotten how to not be doing something.

Nevertheless, as I recounted the day thinking of how busy it was yet again and recalling all those school supplies I just bought this afternoon, my mind started to rest on thoughts of school starting soon. This is something I really haven't given much thought to for no other reason than the lack of time to think about it. But tonight it all of a sudden became very real to me that this year marks another year of sending another child off to kindergarten.

It was tough with Gabe. I remember being teary and wishing he wasn't getting so big. But I thought it'd be easier as the kids grow, nothing compared to the first time. Not the case. And as I look at how grown up Cooper is getting, I pray once again that the Lord will help me cherish every single minute I have with these kids He has blessed us with. I pray that God will help me to find every little moment I can to put aside anything else going on and just be with the kids. Not to tell them, 'In a minute,' or 'After I finish what I'm working on.' But to just be with them, stop everything and show them that they are always more important than all the to-do's. For in the blink of an eye, they're going off to kindergarten.


Say it isn't so...

9 comments:

Kim said...

You have been busy. I hope you enjoy your vacation and take some time from the everyday. Alyssa is going to Kinergarten too I have been on the verge of tears everytime someone mentions it. It will be a long 3 weeks. Take Care!

Kim said...

OH it's so not fun to send them off. Sorry but I still haven't gotten used to it.

But here, this will make you laugh (in sympathy for me): http://mamafasha.blogspot.com/2010/07/head-hurts.html

I love Cooper's shirt and tie! Ian actually has to wear a shirt and tie 2 days a week, for chapel. I love little guys gussied up like that!

Valerie and Jeff said...

I am SO there with you! We were just talking about Kdg. last night and how Easton is going to have a big adjustment to all day school. (And Mom too!!!) You really hit the nail on the head on so many issues Angie--time just does not slow down does it? And it's easy to get swooped up in things that "need" to get done--all the while these treasures have somehow grown up and away from us. It makes me teary. Thanks for the reminder to treasure these fleeting days and really savor them!
(Great, now I'll probably make the next 3 weeks ultra fun and make that transition back to school even harder for them--ha!)
Hugs,
Valerie

Teresa said...

Amen to cherish everyday. I know just yesterday my children were small; remembering the giggles of orneryness; I blinked a moment ago and our son is now a Senior in high school, and daughter is in 5th grade. I was going through pictures to put together for his senior scrapbook; he is my bonus son; he has been living with us since the latter part of 5th grade, and to see pictures of him from the moment he was born to now was nothing short of amazing. I have found that journaling to him and my daughter (10 yrs. old) helps me cherish those moments and hang onto the 'snapshots' of life that pass through us at lightning speeds. Thank you for sharing. And I love how you brought to light how we feel we must be doing 'something'. That sentence inspired me that when I feel like I must do something; I could capture the moment of watching my child sleep or making a giggly memory in that something moment where I feel the to do list grows like a weed, attempting to rob me of that special time. Thank you for the reminder; you are so beautiful...and I celebrate you!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

such a sweet post. thank you, for sharing your thoughts.

Lea
xo

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about "doing something" that's for sure! It was way to quiet at my house the last few days (-2 kids) and instead of tackling all the "to-dos" I read a book and played with my almost one year old. The list will always be there, that's what I kept telling myself.

Birthday parties! Yikes! That went by so fast! I can't wait to see pictures!

I have one going to pre-school and I just dread it. I will be along side you (a little north though) with a box of kleenex. That will be one sad day. I haven't even brought myself to get the school supplies for fear reality is setting in.

Hugs!

Tara Anderson said...

I'm sending my Chloe off to Kindergarten in a month, and it's hitting me too. They just grow up TOO fast...

Love Letters To China said...

I can really relate to your post. I'm feeling those same pangs of guilt. I always feel like I should be doing "something" around the house. If I do take a few minutes to sit and relax my mind is always spinning on what next needs to be done. I often find myself telling the kids "just a minute". I know that's the worst thing to do, but I just seem to fall into that trap. They do grow up so quickly. I look at my little girl and can't believe she's 7 1/2 and starting 2nd grade in a month. Thank you for reminding me I truly need to "cherish everyday" and stop worrying about what I need to do. What I need to do is stop and play with my children while they're still children.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments ladies! So great to know that there's others out there who feel the same way. Thanks for your support!