Monday, October 5, 2009

Branson or Bust

We are officially on vacation!

It's been a whole year since our last vacation to Myrtle Beach. It's actually quite rare for us to have a whole year in between vacations. We usually try to take at least two vacations every year to get away and spend time together as a family. But with this past year being filled with pregnancy and the sickness that goes along with it, not to mention all the house renovations and church youth center renovations, we've had no time to sneak away, not even for a night. Needless to say, we are quite thankful to get away from it all.

Although one thing I cannot seem to get away from, of course, is blogging :)

We had a pretty good eight hour drive here, considering. (Keep reading for the considering part.) It was eight hours of actual driving, but if you factor in all the stops a family with four small children has to make, it took us more like ten hours to get here. Two extra hours was actually quite good considering what we had to deal with - poor little Chloe got sick on the way.

A few nights ago, Gabe was up sick all night long vomiting. We had hoped no one else would catch whatever bug he had, but unfortunately it 'bit' Chloe today.

I could spare you the details, but really it was quite amazing so I just have to tell you about it. I won't get too graphic, but if you don't want to hear it (or shall I say read it,) go ahead and skip the next paragraph.

Now, for those of you who aren't squeamish, here's how it went. Chloe would be singing a song and start a coughing/gagging fit. She would then throw up all over herself and her car seat. The smell of puke is still stuck in my nose after being trapped with it for the whole day in the car. Really, how well can you clean a car seat up with wet wipes, which was all I had to work with. And then there was the puke-soaked clothes that I had no where else to put but in the car. But I digress - back to Chloe. After throwing up, she would go right back to singing. Seriously, it was the strangest thing. Chloe would be singing away..."Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder" *VOMIT* "what you are." Jason and I were both amazed that it didn't phase her one bit.

It just goes to show that Chloe just doesn't stop for anything, even vomit!

I wanted to share a few photos from right after I changed her clothes at a gas station. Notice how happy she is, not really the vision of a sick girl...



Then she proceeded to play in the car, finding the mirror on the visor and talking to herself in it. The conversation went like this, "Hi! I'm Chloe! How are you? I'm on vacation!" *Notice all the exclamation points. They're an accurate portrayal of both her excitement and her volume :)





I know she's a happy girl, but really, one does have permission to be a little somber when they're sick. I guess this doesn't apply to Chloe!

Hopefully all that is behind us and we can look forward to a sick-free week of fun. But you can rest assured, I'll keep you posted!

7 comments:

Shana Putnam said...

Hope you guys have a blast!

Valerie and Jeff said...

SO sorry that you guys have a bug! (Brayden had a bug last Mon and Tues. that I am SO hopeful the rest of us miss. Unlike Chloe he HATES to throw up ... he'll moan about it for 24 hours before he finally cannot hold it back any longer.) And the smell of vomit in the car? Oh my ... I'm going to say prayers for you folks and that no one else gets sick from the bug or just the smell! I've been on Christmas vacation with a sick 2 year old and it's just yucky. You brought flashbacks with your wetwipe clean up kit story. (ewww)--Thanks for sharing so my post on hunting isn't the only yucky related topic out there (haha!) Have fun on your trip! (P.S. I found some pet vomit/urine smell remover for carpet and furniture by Bissell(?) at Walmart (in a red spray bottle) that really helps take the smell out of stuff, maybe check into that for her carseat if it's aroma-rific~!

Tara Anderson said...

My Eli is the same way when he gets sick...happy as can be! Wish I was like that. :)

You want another good car vomit story? When she was 3, my Chloe somehow managed to get the lid off of NEW a bottle of Children's Tylenol and down the whole thing! We took her to the ER, where they made her drink CHARCOAL. Guess what she puked all over the car as soon as we pulled into our DRIVEWAY?!?! It was black, thick, and we finally broke down and just got a carpet shampooer. The things that happen to us moms....

Hope you guys have great trip!!!

Anonymous said...

Angie, you forgot to pick me up on your way! :)
Although with the puking in the car I might have had to rethink going. Kinz threw up in her carseat outside of the mall one day. It was terrible! I did have to smile about Chloe singing thru her sickness. And the explanation points crack me up. In nursery the other day I saw first hand what you mean. She is intense. {and loud!}
I hope you have a great time and everyone stays healthy.

Unknown said...

That's too funny! I am talking about the optional skip this paragraph. I didn't! And it was funny!

Have a great vacation!

TanyaLea said...

Oh the joys of parenthood!! Yes, if you don't have a strong stomach...you must some how grow one for those unavoidable moments of sickness and all the 'lovliness' (NOT!!) that comes along with it. I've never done well with vomit...but can handle about any bad diaper there is. So my husband and I defer to one another whenever possible! LOL!

Hope the rest of your trip is VOMIT-FREE and filled with good times and lots of R&R!!

Blessings,
~Tanya

Shana Putnam said...

You cracked me up...Bubbles can be pretty scary...lol. Too cute. Thanks!