Friday, July 4, 2008

A Fourth of July Parade

To celebrate the Fourth of July, we decided to go and walk in a parade and help our fellow Republicans. Jason Gabe & I sported shirts in support of our local candidates and Cooper & Chloe were dressed in red, white & blue because no one had shirts small enough to fit them.
I ended up pushing Chloe in the stroller and Jason, Gabe & Cooper walked & threw candy.
It was so cute to see the boys get so into throwing candy to other little kids. I noticed Cooper go up to this very cute little dark-haired girl and gently place a piece of candy in the bag she was shyly holding out. She said, "Thank you!" And Cooper just smiled his sweet little smile and I swear it looked like he was blushing.
Gabe was really into making sure we had candy to throw, going back to the golf cart that had the large supply of candy and keeping the stroller supplied so that we could keep throwing candy throughout the parade route. Chloe just rode along and waved at people.
It was a good morning, and the kids had so much fun! The parade route was quite long, which I didn't really notice until we had to walk all the way back to where we began and had parked the Durango. Cooper ended up finishing the parade by riding on a golf cart that one of the candidate's helpers was driving. The man driving the golf cart had asked Cooper his name. Cooper replied, "I don't know." So, the man said, "Well then, since you won't tell me your name, I'll call you George." Later today, Cooper turned to me and said, "Hey mom, ask me what my name is." I said, "Ok, what's your name?" Cooper replied, "My name is George," and then laughed so hard. It's funny what constitutes as a joke to a three-year-old.
I didn't get any pictures of the whole family but snapped one quick photo of the kids right as the parade was starting. It's not a great one because I didn't have time to spend making them all look at the camera. We were being ushered out into the parade line while I was trying to take this picture, and Gabe was literally gritting his teeth trying to smile and talk at the same time, saying, "Mom, hurry up. It's starting!" It was quite funny, and that's probably what I'll always think of when I see this goofy picture. So, here it is:

No comments: